Saturday, January 3, 2009

daggers truly are in men's smiles

Shakespeare states " There's daggers in men's smiles." I do believe it is safe to say "men" means society. I walk the halls every day of high school and I wonder to myself who is crying over the loss of a friend to a petty fight? Who is crying because they finally wore that new shirt and everyone laughed. I personally have played with my image a lot and I can guarantee that having pride in an outfit and having a friend look at you with pure disgust and say " you're wearing THAT?" can kill you. A friend can be the best thing in the world but they can cut into you like no one else can. A stranger can say something and yeah it makes you mad or hurts you but when a friend does it, it can ruin everything. I too have experienced the daggers, I too have had daggers in my own smile. Its a timeless statement that will forever fit in a high school setting. Its amazing how much hurt can be inflicted by just a look or how a simple dagger less smile can begin to mend a broken heart. Many people have hidden agendas that even those closest to them know nothing of. Like these "Santa slayings" in California. This man who was bitter from a divorce dressed up like Santa and shot an eight year old girl in the face. He had no history of
violence according to those who knew him. I'd say that’s a pretty big dagger to have.
Anyone who knows me knows I haven’t exactly had the perfect, most blessed life.
My father had a dagger hidden in everyone of his smiles. As long as I lived up to his ridiculous standards I was graced with his presence. He’s been gone from my life for a year and it took quite a while for me to stop waiting for him to come back. I had an uncle who woke up, showered, got dressed, ate, kissed his wife and son and left for work. He never made it there. He went to a set of woods he spent his teenage life in and shot himself in the head. People had seen him the night before, his wife had seen him that morning. His son had spoken to him on the phone that morning as he did every morning. And yet, he killed himself. Daggers are there for many reasons, it’s the ones you don’t see coming that kill you.

5 comments:

  1. i thought this was pretty inspiring, with the way that everyone has daggers in their smile, especially in high school. and about your father and your uncle, thats terrible and a lot to live with, i'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh geeze girl. you are so right though. oh and to answer your question. me and carrie kind of decided to write on the same subject. i had said i was going to first and then she wanted to just so people could see another side of what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sucks but daggers are a part of everyone's life. I had never heard about the "Santa slayings" but that is pretty disgusting

    ReplyDelete
  4. A tragic story to share; your closing sentence hits the reader hard. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was alot to admit, darling. It's good to get it out tho and I'm totally understanding. You really hit it on the head about there being daggers in everyone's smiles and totally correct about the ones you can't see being worst. <3

    ReplyDelete